Western Region Junior Championships - Mammoth Mountain; April 6-9, 2021
The U.S. Ski & Snowboard U16 Jr Championships is a championship event for racers ages 14 and 15 years old only, from the five divisions of the Western Region. Each of the three regions of U.S. Ski & Snowboard (Western/Rocky-Central/Eastern) conducts its own U16 Regional Jr Championships. The event consists of 2 SG, 1 GS, 1 SL races.
For “X” numbered athletes to participate in selection procedures they must hold a Far West Foreign membership, petition to the Age Class Chair and ACC Chair prior to the first qualifying event and follow all Far West rules and regulations. A maximum of 3 “X” numbers per gender will be allowed per season.
Quota: Men: 14 Women: 14
The quota is filled using “World Cup Points” (WCP) (see Rules Governing Far West Competitors Section of this document), scored in the U16 Jr Championships qualifying events (WILD WEST SERIES). There are multiple weekends contesting SL and GS. Each competitor’s WCP scores from all of the qualifying races count, regardless of discipline. In special circumstances, a one run race may be scored for Jr Championship qualifying purposes, if approved by the team captains at the event. In the event of a tie, the athlete’s best result using WCPs is used even if that was previously applied in their original qualifying score.
Racer A: 100, 80,80,60,50, 0,0
Racer B: 80, 80,80,80,50,0,0
In the example above both athletes have a total of 370 points. Racer A would be the higher rank due to the higher WCP finish. If a tie still exists, the next athlete selected will be the racer with the lowest US Ski and Snowboard race point results in any of the Wild West Series events.
The Far West U16 Jr Championship Team is seeded by a ranking list per event, using the following criteria:
- Racers ranked by their event WCP from the qualifiers.
- In the event of a WCP order tie the seeding will be broken by the athletes US Ski and Snowboard points from points list #19 in that event.
- SG seeding will be based on list #19. Any 999’s will be a random draw for the seed spot.
Travel and Payment regulations for U16 Jr Championships
- All athletes, including alternates, must respond by the prescribed deadline listed at www.fwskiing.org. There will be a 72-hour response window. Payment in full will be due at this time.
- DURING THE 2021 CHAMPIONSHIPS THERE WILL BE NO DIVISIONAL TRAVEL BASED ON COVID RESTRICTIONS.
- Refunds for U16 Jr Champs will be made only for recoverable costs, and on a case-by-case basis.
The US winners of each discipline race and the combined at the U.S. Ski & Snowboard /Western Region U16 Junior Championships will be automatics to the following seasons Far West Ski Team.