Dave Van Ruiten Memorial Scholarship 2020-21
The Far West Board of Directors will once again offer the Far West Skiing - Dave Van Ruiten* Memorial Scholarship for the 2020-21 ski season. A $1000 fund is available from Far West Skiing.
The athlete chosen for this special award must be a U19+ for the coming season, and must have a legitimate chance of being selected to the United States Ski Team (USST), according to the judgment of the Far West Board, based on the athlete’s national junior FIS ranking in one or more disciplines. Applicants must be members in good standing with Far West Skiing. In the event the Far West Board believes multiple athletes meet the appropriate criteria, they will look to financial need to assist in the final decision process.
To apply for this scholarship, all applicants must complete and submit an application (online at www.fwskiing.org). Applicants must be prepared to submit responses to the questions below, 2 letters of recommendation, your most recent report card, 2 photos (1 head and shoulders and one action shot). All applications must be received by December 15th at 5:00pm. No applications will be accepted late, and incomplete applications will not be considered.
The yearly amount of the Daven Van Ruiten Scholarship is set by the Far West Board of Directors at their annual budgeting meeting.
The Far West Skiing Board of Directors will announce the recipients of this scholarship on its website by January 1, 2021.
Questions regarding this scholarship can be directed to the Far West Skiing office, 530.559.4130 or [email protected].
* Dave Van Ruiten, former Director of Racing at Sugar Bowl Resort, passed away on November 7, 2005. He was the former Vice President of Far West Skiing, a tremendous leader and asset to junior ski racing in this region, and a highly respected professional. He was instrumental in Sugar Bowl’s commitment and rise to national ski racing prominence over the past several years. This special scholarship award to a Far West athlete with USST potential and financial need is named in his honor.
A complete application includes:
1. Written response to Biographical Sketch listed below.
2. Letters of Recommendation: Two letters are required. One letter should be from the athlete’s club or coach. The other letter should be from a teacher, academic advisor, or community leader. Letters should focus on sportsmanship, leadership, work ethic, community service, and obstacles or personal difficulties you have overcome. Letters of recommendation from a parent will not be considered. (.txt, .doc, .docx, .jpg accepted)
3. A copy of your most recent report card from school. If not in school, please explain your circumstances. (.txt, .doc, .docx, .jpg accepted)
4. Two photos of the applicant. One head and shoulders and one action shot.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH - essay answer
To be answered via essay format during the online application:
1. What is it about ski racing that excites you?
2. What are your ski racing objectives for the coming year?
3. Ski racing is expensive for all, why are you in need of financial assistance?
4. What else are you doing to help support your ski racing?
5. What other funding resources do you receive through sponsorships or scholarships?
6. Tell us of your ski racing accomplishments; include any titles, honors or special awards you have received.
7. How do you combine education with ski racing?
8. What are your educational goals?
9. In what other sports, activities or hobbies do you participate?
Applications and the information therein are for the exclusive use of the Dave Van Ruiten Memorial Scholarship Committee only and will not be used for any purpose other than the award of scholarships, except the use of photos for possible associated publication.
Applications must be received via the Far West Website (www.fwskiing.org), no later than December 15th by 5:00pm.
Click here to apply for the Dave Van Ruiten Memorial Scholarship.