The Marce Herz Foundation bears the name of an extraordinary individual, Marcelle (“Marce”) Barkley Herz. Marce, a track and field world record holder, champion amateur skier, and co-founder of the Sky Tavern Jr. Ski Program, was also a teacher who believed that sports were good for everyone, but especially children, and that all children should get the opportunity to ski (and now snowboard) regardless of a child’s race or economic status. Marce also believed in the power of sports and academics to uplift and motivate children. She became the first woman to receive the Sportsmen (Sportswoman) of the Year Award from the Nevada Sportswriters Association. Marce made contributions in our community to youth, teaching, journalism, skiing, sports, and the skiing community. Once young people, particularly young women and girls, discover the life, times and achievements of Marce Herz, they are usually moved and motivated to strive for excellence. It is a privilege to be able to provide a scholarship in her honor.
To learn more, go to www.marceherz.org
Completed applications are due to The Marce Herz Foundation at [email protected] by Sunday, October 8th at 11:59pm. Applications must be submitted via the email above. There will be two (2) scholarships (one to a female and to a male athlete) at $1,000 each, awarded for the 23-24 season by the Marce Herz Foundation. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
A complete application includes:
- Written response to Biographical Sketch listed below.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two letters are required. One letter should be from the athlete’s club or coach. The other letter should be from a teacher, academic advisor, or community leader. Letters should focus on sportsmanship, leadership, work ethic, community service, and obstacles or personal difficulties you have overcome. Letters of recommendation from a parent will not be considered. (.txt, .doc, .docx, .jpg .pdf accepted)
- A copy of your most recent transcript or report card from school. If not in school, please explain your circumstances. (.txt, .doc, .docx, .jpg, .pdf accepted)
- Two photos of the applicant. One head and shoulders and one action shot. (.jpg or .bmp accepted)
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH - essay answer
To be answered in essay format during the application and submitted as a Word document or as a .pdf file:
- Marce embodied dedication, self-discipline and integrity with her personal strengths. How do you see yourself incorporating these ideals in your life and education/athletic goals?
- What is it about ski racing that excites you?
- What are your ski racing objectives for the coming year?
- Ski racing is expensive for all, why are you in need of financial assistance?
- What else are you doing to help support your ski racing?
- What other funding resources do you receive through sponsorships or scholarships?
- Tell us of your ski racing accomplishments; include any titles, honors or special awards you have received.
- How do you combine education with ski racing?
- What is your favorite class in school and why?
- How do you give back to your community?
- In what other sports, activities or hobbies do you participate?
Applications and the information therein are for the exclusive use of the Marce Herz Scholarship Committee only and will not be used for any purpose other than the award of scholarships, except the use of photos for possible associated publication. Winners may be asked to sign a press release form.
Applications will be reviewed and scholarships awarded by October 27th. Funds for successful applicants shall be distributed by the Far West Skiing office.
**Applications must be received by the The Marce Herz Foundation at [email protected] no later than Sunday, October 8th at 11:59pm. Late applications will not be accepted.